All members of NEW CANAAN CREW are required to read, agree to, and follow the New Canaan High School Athletic Department Code of Ethics and the New Canaan Crew Code of Conduct. The coaches of New Canaan Crew reserve the right to dismiss any athlete from the team who does not abide by the following:
New Canaan High School Athletic Department Code of Ethics
It is the duty of all concerned with New Canaan High School athletics:
1. to emphasize the proper ideals of sportsmanship, ethical conduct and fair play.
2. to stress the values derived from playing the game fairly.
3. to show cordial courtesy to visiting teams and official.
4. to establish a pleasant relationship between visitors and hosts.
5. to respect the integrity and judgment of sports officials.
6. to achieve a thorough understanding and acceptance of the rules of the game and the standards of eligibility.
7. to encourage leadership, use of initiative, and good judgment by the players on the team.
8. to recognize that the basic purpose of our athletic program is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social and emotional well-being of the individual players.
9. to remember that an athletic contest is only a game -- not a matter of life or death for players, coach, school, officials, fans, community or state.
Good sportsmanship requires all New Canaan spectators to follow this code of conduct: Cheer for New Canaan; never mock or boo opponents. Be considerate of opposing players and coaches. Treat visiting teams as invited guests. Become familiar with the spirit and rules of the game. Accept decisions made by officials. Be gracious in victory, sportsmanlike in defeat. Cheer good plays by either team. Support our cheerleaders positively. Remember all school rules of behavior apply to athletic contests.
New Canaan Crew Code of Conduct
In addition to the New Canaan High School Code of Ethics, all Crew Team Members must abide by the following Code of Conduct:
1. All Crew Team members are expected to treat all team members with respect and courtesy. Experienced rowers are to set the example for younger rowers and help all new rowers learn the basics of rowing and rowing behavior.
2. All Crew Team members are expected to attend and participate in practices and races to the best of his/her mental and physical ability.
3. All Crew Team members are considered "at crew" on the way to and from practice either when driving or on the bus, this includes time while waiting at school or Boathouse for the bus.
4. At regattas, all Crew Team members must act responsibly at ALL times, this includes behavior in Hotels and at Dinners.
5. Speed limit in the Boathouse parking lot is 5mph - failure to obey can result in loss of driving priviliges. Parking is to be in designated areas as identified by the coaches.
6. No member of a NCHS athletic team or extracurricular organization, either on or off campus, will knowingly use, attempt to use, possess, sell, purchase, provide or distribute alcoholic beverages, and/or any form of illicit drugs. This prohibition includes the possession and/or distribution of drug paraphernalia. This policy is in effect the entire school year from the onset of the first preseason practice/activity to the last school activity. Out of season violations of this policy may affect in season participation as determined by the Administration/Athletic Director and Coaches.